Here’s the answer to yesterday’s word problem:
a) Approx. total length will be about 22.65 miles or 36.24km
- 250lbs x 1,640 bands/lb = 410,000 bands
- 410,000 bands x 3.5in/band = 1,435,000 in
- 1,435,000in ÷ 12in/ft ÷ 5,280 ft/mi = 22.65 miles (rounded)
- 22.65 mi x 1.6 km/mi = 36.24km
b) Assembly rate will need to be 5,775 bands per hour or 97 bands per minute
- 410,000 bands ÷ 71 hours = 5,774.647 rounds up to 5775 bands per hour
- 5775 bands per hour ÷ 60 min/hour = 96.24 rounds up to 97 bands per minute.
Why round up? Well, if we only did 96 bands/minx 60 minutes/hr x 71 hours, we’d be short by 1,040 bands! We’ll be done a little earlier at 97 bands per minute (about 33 minutes early), but that just gives us a little extra time to sit back and admire our work!
Yeah, we’re a little crazy, but a fun kind of crazy! Make sure to check out all our other spring break fun here!